Wednesday 6 December 2017

Digital technology essay

Digital Media Technology involves the use of technology to create digital content such as Images, video and audio. Utilising digital media technology can support creativity, as the internet can provide us with examples of real media texts, we are not restricted by materials, and we can implement interactive elements which were impossible through traditional media methods. Throughout my time as a media student I have gained a much wider range of skills in Digital media software such as photoshop, indesign and Final Cut Pro. For example, I am now able to add textures and filters to images, animate and develop fonts.

For my preliminary task, the influences of digital media on my work was limited as I was unfamiliar with the softwares. However, digital media technology allowed me to research examples of existing publications via the internet to help inspire my idea. I also used a camera to take my imagery. Unlike in my later tasks, there was a lack of adjustments to my Images, and instead chose to spend more time developing and formatting text/graphics.

Looking back on my preliminary task, my experimentation with fonts, imagery and colour scheme allowed me to evaluate what worked and what didn’t in preparation to the creation of my AS Magazine.

By the time I began work on my AS Magazine, I had gained a wider range of skills in digital media technology. For example, I now had a better understanding of camera angles/lighting which I put into consideration when shooting my imagery. I was then able to adjust this imagery on photoshop using a wide range of tools such as the spot removal, blending and blur tools.

My development in use of digital media technology allowed me to express my creativity better, as I was now more comfortable with the software, I am able to achieve my desired outcome more successfully (e.g. use of textures/fonts etc.) but my more in depth analyis of existing products found on the internet did narrow down my design choices, as my aim was still to create a conventional music magazine.

For my A2 trailer, I was able to further expand on the skills gained over the last year. For example, I have picked up new skills in photoshop such as the ability to produce animated graphics for my transitions and titles, a better understanding of cameras and lighting and the introduction to editing software (final cut pro) allowing for sound design, transitions and more.

Experimentation with basic video editing on IMovie allowed for my group to reflect on what worked successfully/unsuccessfully to improve on in our final trailers. The internet also helped us to find scripts which we adapted into our own trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment